Tax Reporting: Form 1099-R Reporting IRA Rollovers

A rollover occurs when money is distributed from one tax-deferred account and deposited within 60 days to another tax deferred account. There are two types of IRA rollovers: 1) a direct rollover, which occurs when funds are transferred directly from one account to another account by the account custodians/trustees, and 2) a distribution, which is made directly to you and within 60 days you deposit the full amount (including any taxes withheld) into a new IRA or other tax deferred account. The custodian/trustee distributing the funds will issue you a 1099-R reporting the payment/transfer of funds. The code in Box 7 indicates what type of payment was made. The custodian/ trustee receiving the IRA funds will issue a Form 5498 in May reporting the contribution to the receiving IRA account which reports to the IRS that you deposited the money into another IRA.

In compliance with Treasury Department Circular 230, unless stated to the contrary, any information contained in this FAQ was not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on any taxpayer.