Tax Reporting: Accrued Interest Paid

Accrued interest paid when a bond is purchased is not taxable to the buyer; instead it is taxable income to the seller. Your Form 1099-INT reports the full interest payment credited to your account. Consult your tax advisor for the proper reporting of accrued interest paid at purchase on your return. 

In compliance with Treasury Department Circular 230, unless stated to the contrary, any information contained in this FAQ was not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on any taxpayer.