Tax: Dividends and Distributions: Where are foreign tax withheld amounts reported?

The amount of foreign tax withheld from dividends is reported on Form 1099-DIV. The IRS does not require reporting of foreign tax withheld on gross proceeds and substitute payments in lieu. Refer to IRS Publication 514, Foreign Tax Credit for Individuals and the instructions for Form 1040, Schedule A (Itemized Deductions) and Form 1116, Foreign Tax Credit. Please consult your tax advisor for further guidance.

In compliance with Treasury Department Circular 230, unless stated to the contrary, any information contained in this FAQ was not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on any taxpayer.