How does a non-US person or non-US entity claim a refund of US taxes?


Non-US persons or entities must file an income tax return with the United States tax authority in order to claim a refund of over withheld or overpaid tax.

Form 1040NR or Form 1040NR-EZ must be filed by eligible persons with the U.S. tax authority (Internal Revenue Service) to claim a refund.  Use of the forms is limited to non-U.S. persons and non-U.S. entities.   Those filing must have had U.S. tax withheld from U.S. source income.

For questions about "eligibility to file" or "how to file," visit the U.S. Internal Revenue Service online at . Enter within the site's search engine one of the following headings for additional information:

  • Publication 519, US Tax Guide for Aliens
  • Taxation of Nonresident Aliens
  • Instructions for Form 1040NR

Disclaimer:  IB does not provide tax advice. These statements are provided for information purposes only, are not intended to constitute tax advice which may be relied upon to avoid penalties under any international, federal, state, local or other tax statutes or regulations, and do not resolve any tax issues in your favor. We recommend that you consult a qualified tax advisor or refer to the U.S. Internal Revenue Service.