Tax: UK Persons and Entities: Capital Gains and the W-8 Form

When you complete your W-8 form, you can denote that you are a UK resident. There is a treaty between the UK and US which allows you to choose to pay your taxes in the UK by entering this information on your W-8 form (terms and conditions apply, e.g., IB still will collect taxes on dividends and stamp duty will be collected for all London Stock Exchange share purchases in real-time).

In compliance with Treasury Department Circular 230, unless stated to the contrary, any information contained in this FAQ was not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on any taxpayer.